Surrendered Vessel Program Participating Agencies

What should you do with your unwanted vessel?

If you have a recreational boat that you no longer want, the free, easy and safe Surrendered Vessel Program may be the solution. Contact a local public agency in the link above for more information and to apply. It is also possible to take an unwanted vessel to a landfill site for disposal. Contact your local transfer station or landfill agency for further information regarding acceptance, costs, and hazardous waste restrictions.

Never abandon or sink a vessel to dispose of it. Not only does it create public, navigational, environmental and safety hazards on our state’s waterways, but it is illegal with fines of $1,000 to $3,000, plus the costs of removal and disposal! This helpful and proactive program is administered by California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), and grants are awarded annually to qualified local public agencies statewide. Commercial vessels are not covered under this program.


Cal Reycle Landfill Locator