For-Hire Vessel Carrier
For-Hire Vessel Carriers: Perform passenger transportation services (for any type of compensation) other than point-to-point service are subject to the For-Hire Vessel Carrier regulation.
- Examples are fishing charters, sightseeing services, dinner cruise, etc.
Registrations must be renewed annually before the start of the new calendar year.
Vessel Common Carrier: Provide transportation of persons or property between fired points within the state. Examples: commuter ferry service on San Francisco Bay and service between California mainland points and Catalina Island.
All Vessel Common Carriers will continue to register with the PUC.
To obtain a For-Hire Vessel Carrier Insurance Certificate, the following requirements must be met:
- Every For-Hire Vessel Carrier must procure and maintain adequate protection against liability for long as the for-hire vessel company continues to offer its services.
Letter to All Applicants
All forms to be included in New/Renewal Application Process
- Cover letter
- For-Hire Vessel Carriers Application (DPR 857A)
- Declaration of vessels used (DPR 857B)
- Certificate of Insurance (DPR 857C) (Filed with insurance company)
- Declaration Page for Insurance Certification (Sample)
Fee to Apply
- Original Application fee of $25*
- Application Renewal fee of $25*
*All fees to be paid in the form of check or money order to the Department of Parks and Recreation.
Original copies of completed documents are to be sent to:
Department of Parks and Recreation
Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW)
For-Hire Insurance Verification Certificate Program
P.O. Box 94286
Sacramento, CA 94296-0001