For-Hire Vessel Carrier
For-Hire Vessel Carriers: Perform passenger transportation services (for any type of compensation) other than point-to-point service are subject to the For-Hire Vessel Carrier regulation.
- Examples are fishing charters, sightseeing services, dinner cruise, etc.
Registrations must be renewed annually before the start of the new calendar year.
Vessel Common Carrier: Provide transportation of persons or property between fired points within the state. Examples: commuter ferry service on San Francisco Bay and service between California mainland points and Catalina Island.
All Vessel Common Carriers will continue to register with the PUC.
To obtain a For-Hire Vessel Carrier Insurance Certificate, the following requirements must be met:
- Every For-Hire Vessel Carrier must procure and maintain adequate protection against liability for long as the for-hire vessel company continues to offer its services.
- Letter to For-Hire Vessel Carriers
- PUC Code Section 4660-4672
- General Orders 121-A (insurance requirements)
- For-Hire Vessel Carriers Application*
- Declaration of vessels used*
- Application/Renewal fee of $25*
Proof of Insurance:
- DPR 857C form (Filed with insurance company*)
To renew, you must submit an Application, Declaration of Vessels Used, proof of insurance, and renewal fee.
*Original copies of completed documents are to be sent to:
DIVISION OF BOATING AND WATERWAYS
Attention to For-Hire Vessel Carrier
P.O. Box 94286
Sacramento, CA 94296-0001