Clean, Drain and Dry Boat Cleaning Procedures
You can prevent the spread of quagga and zebra mussels by using this checklist every time you take your boat out of a freshwater lake, river or stream:
- Inspect all watercraft and equipment.
- Clean any visible mud, plants, fish or animals from watercraft and equipment.
- Drain all water, including from lower outboard unit, ballast, live-well, buckets, etc.
- Dry all areas.
- Dispose of debris and live bait in trash.
- Report any mussels you find to the local marina and the California Department of Fish and Wildlife hotline at (866) 440-9530 or email: email@example.com.
California’s Quagga/Zebra Mussel Task Force developed a boat cleaning guide book for use by recreational boaters. The information contains general guidelines for all boaters and a basic checklist for inspecting and cleaning boats and recreational equipment for quagga/zebra mussels and other aquatic invasive species. There are also additional inspection and cleaning checklists for specific types of boats and equipment.